Apple Kale Salad with Pumpkin Vinaigrette
|Romaine Lettuce||2 Cups|
|Vegetarian Bacon||6-8 Strips|
|Roasted Pumpkin or Squash||1 Cup|
|Maple Syrup||2 Tblsp|
|Red Wine Vinegar||1/2 Cup|
|Olive Oil||1/2 Cup|
|Roasted Garlic||1 Bulb|
|Salt & Pepper||to taste|
You can make this dressing beforehand and store it in the fridge. It is a great vinaigrette with an earthy fall flavor. This is about as far as I go with the fall season flavors. Let it be known that I really hate fall/winter flavors. I want to set fire to those vile cinnamon scented pinecones in the front of grocery stores. Although burning them would probably make them smell worse!
To Make Dressing:
- Roast pumpkin/squash in a 400 degree oven for about 45 mins until soft, 20 mins if using the cubed pumpkin. I left the skin on mine and just cut it in half and put it uncovered on a foil lined baking sheet, but you could peel & cube it and cook it the same way.
- Wrap the Garlic bulb in foil and add to the oven for about the last 20 mins of the Pumpkins cooking time.
- When cooled, scoop out flesh and put in a blender or food processor.
- Slowly add the Vinegar and Maple Syrup, about 3-4 of the Roasted Garlic Cloves & Smoked Papkrika
- While the food processor is running slowly add the Oil until all combined.
The Salad is easy to assemble it only requires a little work.
- Cook “bacon” and tear into small pieces when cool.
- Remove Stems from Kale and tear into small pieces.
- Shave Brussels Sprouts.
- Tear Romaine Lettuce.
- Matchstick Apples.
- Toss all ingredients together and serve with dressing on the side.