Asparagus Hollandaise Tart
|Sour Cream||1/2 Cup|
|Hollindaise Sauce Mix||1|
|Cream or Milk||1 Cup|
|Dijon Mustard||1 Tablespoon|
|Frozen Peas||1 Cup|
|Fresh Chives||1 pkg|
This tart uses a sour cream pastry that you can whip up in minutes! If you want to make life easy use frozen puff pastry, no need to cook it first just press into the tart tin and fill.
I used Asparagus that was on the thin side if you can only find large Asparagus cut them in half lengthwise.
In full transparency I made this by accident, I was making something else and it was a disaster so even though this isn’t perfect it turned out better than what I was doing first!
- Mix the Dough together by throwing the Sour Cream and Flour into a food processor.
- Cut the cold Butter into pieces and add them one at a time to the running food processor until it comes together in a ball.
- Dust the counter with a little flour and knead the dough a few times until it’s a smooth lump, wrap in some plastic wrap and place in the fridge or freezer to let it rest for at least 30 minutes.
- While the Dough is chilling make the Hollandaise filling by adding the Sauce package to the cream or milk and beaten egg in a saucepan over a medium heat, whisking constantly so there are no lumps, next add the Dijon and continue whisking until the mixture reaches a temperature right before boiling, it needs to be hot but you don’t want it to split or curdle, its a bit like making Lemon Curd
- When the Dough has rested roll it out to about a 1/4 inch thick lay over the Tart tin and press into the Tart shell, you will have quite a bit left over but it freezes well.
- Place back into the fridge until you need it.
- Snap the woody ends off the Asparagus and blanch it in salted boiling water for no longer than 2 minutes then plunge it into a water bath with a cup of ice cubes in it to stop the cooking process and to retain it’s bright green color.
- Drain and pat dry with paper towels.
- Put the frozen Peas in a colander or sieve and run hot tap water over them so they start to thaw you may need to do this more than once.
- Pre-Bake the Tart shell by putting foil over the Tart shell and pour either uncooked Beans or uncooked Rice as “Pie Weights” and bake for about 25 minutes, take the foil and weights out and bake for a further 5 minutes until the bottom is dried out.
- Cut the Asparagus so they cover the bottom of the tart shell.
- Sprinkle over a handful of thawed Peas. Reserve the rest for the top.
- Pour the Hollandaise over the Asparagus and Peas and place back into the oven and bake until set but still a little wobbly, it will set up when it cools. It might take up to 20 minutes.
- When its cooled down dice the Chives and sprinkle over the Tart with the remaining Peas and serve.