Beignet Balls with Vanilla Custard Sauce
|Butter||1 Stick (1/2 Cup)|
|White Sugar||2 Tablespoons|
|Kosher Salt||1 pinch|
Vanilla Custard Sauce
|Whole Milk||2 Cups|
|Vanilla Bean Paste||1 teaspoon|
Deep fried Choux pastry(!!) and to take it to another level there’s vanilla custard sauce!
This dough is made the night before and just sits in the fridge until you are ready, does not get easier than that.
This makes a lot of Vanilla Custard Sauce but it is great with Apple or Berry Crumble or Apple Pie.
I made these in a deep fryer with Peanut Oil. If you don’t have a deep fryer heat at least 2 inches of oil in a pan.
- Make the Vanilla Custard Sauce first by pouring the Milk into a medium saucepan over a medium heat, in a separate bowl add the Egg Yolks and Sugar and whisk together, when the milk is at the scalding point (almost to boiling) add about a 1/2 Cup to the Egg mixture and whisk so it warms up the Egg mixture, slowly add the rest of the Milk while whisking and then add the whole mixture back to the pot and continue to cook while whisking constantly, again you only want it to thicken and not boil it should take about 5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat then stir through the Vanilla and let cool. You can store this in the fridge for a day or two as this makes a lot.
- To make the Beignets bring the Water, Sugar & Butter to a boil, quickly add the flour and return to the heat while stirring vigorously so the mixture forms a ball.
- Add the mixture to a bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment and let sit for 5 minutes to cool slightly.
- With the mixer running at a low speed add the Egg Yolks one at a time don’t add the next one until the previous one is blended in. The batter should look smooth and glossy.
- Chill the batter in the fridge for at least 1 Hour and up to overnight.
- Heat the Oil to 350 degrees and drop a tablespoon size ball into the oil, these will puff up so don’t add too many to the fryer.
- Cook for about 7-9 minutes, I used a skewer to flip mine halfway through. Don’t be tempted to pull them out early as the insides will be raw.
- Drain on a paper towel then dust liberally with powdered Sugar and the Vanilla Custard & some Raspberry Puree if you like. Serve hot.