|Olive Oil||5 Tbsp|
|Basil Leaves||1/2 Cup|
|All Purpose Flour||1 Cup|
|Baking Powder||1 1/2 Tsp|
|Parmesan Cheese||1 1/2 Cups|
|Melted Butter||2 Tblsp|
|Sesame Seeds||2 Tbsp|
|Salt & Pepper|
This recipe is adapted from Chef Yotam Ottolenghi’s – Cauliflower Cake and it’s fantastic!
I know this sounds weird and probably looks weird but it tastes amazing! Its a cross between a quiche and a cake and now that I have made it once it will be a lot quicker the second time. I will definitely be making this again but next time I think I will serve it with a fresh tomato salsa.
I know the recipe says to line the pan with parchment paper and to brush with melted butter. I did line the bottom with parchment but I used butter flavored baking spray and didn’t line the sides, it seemed to work out fine.
- Pre Heat oven to 400 Degrees.
- Break Cauliflower into florets and place into a saucepan and cover with water and simmer with a pinch of salt for about 15 minutes until fork tender. Drain & set aside.
- Peel Onion and cut 3 or 4 slices off one end of the Onion set aside they will be used to decorate the top. Dice the remaining Onion.
- Finely dice the Rosemary and add to the diced Onion. Put Olive Oil in a small pan and add the Onion Rosemary mix and cook for about 10 minutes stirring from time to time over a medium heat. Set aside to cool ( I put mine in the freezer to speed it up).
- In a large bowl whisk Eggs & chopped Basil, when the Onion mix is cooled add to the Egg mixture, whisk well.
- Sift Flour, Baking Powder & Turmeric into the Egg mixture.
- Grate Parmesan Cheese and stir into the mix add Salt & a lot of Pepper, whisk until smooth.
- Gently add the Cauliflower, stir until mixed but try not to break up the Cauliflower.
- Line the base & sides of a 9 1/2 inch springform pan with Parchment Paper and brush with the melted Butter, tip pan on its side and sprinkle the Sesame seeds on the edges and bottom of the pan, shake it around so it covers it evenly.
- Pour or spoon Cauliflower mix into the pan and press the Onion slices into the top.
- Place in oven and cook for 45 minutes or until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and leave for about 20 minutes before serving.