|Yellow or Gold Potatoes||2 Lbs|
|Heavy Cream||2 1/2 Cups|
|White Cheddar Cheese||1- 1 1/2 Cups|
|Seasoned Salt||1 1/2 Tbls|
|Bay Leaf||1 or 2|
|Crushed Garlic||2-3 Cloves|
Au Gratin Potatoes, Funeral Potatoes, Potatoes Dauphinoise it doesn’t matter what they are called they are essentially the same thing , delicious…… but they may kill you (maybe that’s why they are called funeral potatoes!) Not a dish for everyday that’s for sure. You don’t have to be too fussy with the assembly as long as they are evenly layered.
I have seen this made with milk instead of cream but it turns out a little soupy for my taste. If you are going to make this you might as well go all out !
If you are asked to bring a potato dish for Thanksgiving make it this one, easy but impressive.
I bought the White Cheddar Cheese already grated, if there is a short cut I’ll take it !
- Pre Heat oven to 400 degrees
- Peel and thinly slice Potatoes
- Butter the dish you will cook Potatoes in
- Gently heat Cream with Garlic & Bay Leaf
- Strain Garlic & Bay Leaf from Cream
- Place 1/2 the sliced Potatoes in the bottom of the dish
- Pour 1/2 the heated Cream then sprinkle with Grated Cheese & seasoned salt
- Layer remaining Potatoes and finish with remaining Cream & Cheese and more seasoned salt
- Press down gently on Potatoes and place in the oven and bake for 1 1/2 hours
- Run in place while eating them to ease the guilt !!