Easy Shortbread Fruit Tarts
|Powdered Sugar||1/2 Cup|
|All Purpose Flour||1 1/2 Cups|
|Unsalted Butter||12 Tablespoons|
|Whole Milk||3 Cups|
|Vanilla Bean Paste||2 teaspoons|
|All Purpose Flour||1 Tablespoon|
These look difficult but they are deceptively easy!
The shortbread crust will bring tears to your eyes, it’s so good but very delicate.
I made the Pastry Cream from scratch, you really don’t need too, find my recipe for the Crepe Cake and make the cheaters filling with Whipped Cream and Vanilla Pudding mix. If you are going to use the Pastry Cream make it well in advance I made the Tart Shells and the Pastry Cream the day before.
You can use any Fruit you want for these, as usual, I used 1/2 fresh 1/2 canned.
- In a medium Saucepan add stir together 2 1/2 Cups of the Milk with the Sugar & Salt, bring to a simmer over a medium heat, stirring to dissolve the sugar.
- In a bowl mix the Flour, Cornstarch and the Eggs Yolks with the remaining 1/2 Cup of Milk.
- When the hot Milk mixture is ready, add a little (1/4 Cup) of the mixture to the Egg mixture to temper it, this helps not making sweet scrambled eggs ! Keep slowly pouring in the Milk while you are stirring then pour it all back into the pot through a strainer (this takes some of the bits out that turn into lumps)
- Bring the mixture to a boil whisking constantly until the mixture thickens.
- Remove it from the heat and stir in the Butter and the Vanilla Bean Paste, stir until you don’t see any Butter.
- Place Saran wrap over the surface of the Pastry Cream, this prevents a skin forming on the top.
- Refrigerate until cool.
Stir it well before you use it to make sure it is smooth and creamy.
- Heat the Oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine the Flour, Butter & Powdered Sugar into a food processor, mix until it forms a ball.
- Divide the Dough between each Tart tin (you might have a bit left over) this dough is very soft.
- Press the dough into the Tart tin using the Tamper dipped in flour, make sure to press it into the edges of the tin so you get the nice indentations.
- Place in the freezer for about 10 minutes before you cook them.
- Place them on a cookie sheet and bake for about 12-15 minutes until you just start to see a slight golden color on some of the edges and bottom of the Tarts.
- Remove them from the oven and using the Tamper again press the dough down then let them cool.
When everything is cool add the Pastry Cream to the Tart Shells and decorate with Fruit.