Toasted Coconut & Lime Swig Sugar Cookies
|Flour||5 1/2 Cups|
|Unsalted Butter||1 Cup|
|Powdered Sugar||3/4 Cup|
|Baking Soda||1/2 teaspoon|
|Cream of Tartar||1/2 teaspoon|
|Canola/Vegetable Oil||3/4 Cup|
|Coconut Extract||2 teaspoons|
|Toasted Coconut||2 Cups|
Lime Coconut Frosting
|Softened Unsalted Butter||6 Tablespoons|
|Sour Cream||1/3 Cup|
|Powdered Sugar||3.5 to 4.5 Cups|
|Coconut Extract||1/2 teaspoon|
|Toasted Coconut||1/2 Cup|
Sick of pumpkin and cinnamon? Me too! (Bring back Summer!) We sadly can’t do that but these modified Swig Sugar Cookies may help break up the fall/winter flavor boredom!
The only tip I can give you for making these is to make sure the Sour Cream is at room temperature when making the frosting ( if you forget to take it out of the fridge like I do, just microwave the measured amount for about 10-15 seconds).
Toasting the Coconut is best done in a dry fry pan over a medium-high heat a 1/2 a bag at a time, you have to keep your eye on it and keep it moving as it burns quick, also have a plate close to dump it out on so it doesn’t keep browning in the pan.
- Pre heat the oven to 350 Degrees. Line 2 baking trays with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl mix the Flour, Salt, Baking Soda & Cream of Tartar, set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer cream the Butter and Sugars together for about 2-4 minutes, scraping down the sides.
- While the mixer is running slowly stream in the Oil. Then add the Water and Extract.
- Mix in the Eggs one at a time until combined.
- Add the Flour and Toasted Coconut 1 cup at a time until just combined, don’t over mix.
- It is a dry dough so don’t add any more liquid.
- Roll into 2 inch balls and place 12 on each baking sheet.
- Place an additional 1/4 Cup of Sugar in a small bowl then dip the bottom of a drinking glass or large spice jar into it and press onto each cookie gently to flatten a bit they don’t spread too much.
- Bake for about 10-12 minutes.
- To make the Frosting mix together the room temperature Sour Cream and the Softened Butter until smooth.
- Add the Powdered Sugar a bit at a time if its a too thick add a little milk, if its too runny add more Powdered Sugar.
- Zest 2 Limes and reserve a teaspoon or so for decoration add the rest to the Frosting with the Extract.
- I put the Cookies in the Fridge for and hour or so before frosting them, using the back of a spoon to spread the frosting on the cookies and sprinkle with the remaining Toasted Coconut and Lime Zest.
- You can freeze these and take them out when you need them.