Brown Butter Lemon Blackberry Tart
Brown Butter Crust
|Unsalted Butter||6 Tblsp|
|Vegetable Oil||1 Tbslp|
|Lemon Juice||1/2 Cup + 2 Tblsp|
|Cold Butter||1 Cup|
|Fresh Blackberries||1 Pint|
This is by far the weirdest recipe I have ever made, it almost goes against every baking rule, but it is the most amazing tasting tart I have ever eaten. The crust alone is incredible, it resembles a flaky shortbread (weird huh?). The filling is a cross between a lemon butter, a silky cheesecake texture and a custard.
The way it is cooked is so strange, I never thought it would work. It worked so well that you may see this crust recipe a lot, it is practically a no fail crust. The recipes has been adapted from a Tartine Bakery in San Fransisco via Hummingbird High
So lets get to it and start the weirdness!
The first thing you will do is Preheat the oven to 410 degrees (Weird temperature, I know)
You will need to use an oven proof Pyrex bowl.
- Add the 6 Tblsp of butter cut into 1 Tblsp squares , Oil, water, sugar & salt to the Pyrex bowl, place in the oven for 15 minutes it will start boiling and turn a little brown around the edges.
- Remove from the oven using oven mitts, trust me its hot !
- Leave oven on at 410 degrees you are going to cook the Tart shell in a bit.
- Add flour quickly 1 Tblsp at a time, it will bubble and sizzle but stay with it.
- Stir quickly so that the dough comes together in one ball or lump.
- Set aside to cool.
- When to dough is cool enough to handle press evenly into your 7 or 8 inch tart pan, going up the sides to the top edge, it feels greasy and strange but keep going.
- Poke holes in the crust and place back in the hot oven for another 15 minutes, the crust should be a light brown and a bit darker around the edges
- Let crust cool completely on a cooling rack.
Ok lets get this insane filling started
- Heat about a quarter full pot of water to a simmer over a medium heat, making sure the water doesn’t touch the bottom of the bowl you will place on top.
- Next in a metal bowl that will fit securely over the pot of water add Lemon Juice, sugar, eggs & yolk and a pinch of salt.
- Place over the simmering water and whisk till you cant whisk anymore, it takes a loooong time about 10 -12 minutes of constant whisking, do not leave this to sit for even a moment without stirring it will result in grainy texture and you don’t want that.
- When the mixture is very thick (the whisk should leave a trail through the mixture) remove it from the simmering water and let cool to room temperature (stir it a few times to release the heat).
- While mixture is cooling cut the cup (2 sticks) of butter into 1 Tblsp squares, when the lemon mixture is cooled, either with a hand mixer, blender or food processor add butter squares 1 at a time add the next piece only after the previous one is well blended, again this takes a while.
- If you have any feeling left in your arm, spoon filling into the cooled tart shell then with an offset spatula smooth the top so its flat.
- Press Blackberries gently into the filling.
- Chill Tart for at least 2-3 hours before serving dust with powdered sugar if you want and try to eat just one piece !