Coconut Raspberry Cake with Marshmallow Frosting
|Cake Flour||2 Cups|
|Baking Powder||1 Tablespoon|
|Unsalted Butter (softened)||1/2 Cup|
|White Sugar||1.5 Cups|
|Coconut Extract||2 teaspoons|
|Clear Vanilla||1/2 teaspoon|
|Whole Milk||1 Cup|
|Unsalted Butter (softened)||1 Cup|
|Powdered Sugar||3 Cups|
|Marshmallow Fluff||1 7oz jar|
|Heavy Cream||2 Tablespoons|
|Coconut Extract||1 teaspoon|
|Toasted Shredded Coconut||2 Cups|
|Raspberry Jam||1 Cup|
Toasted coconut and raspberry are a match made in heaven, then you add marshmallow frosting and it elevates the whole thing!
I made 3 x 6 inch cakes, you can make 2×9 inch rounds instead with no need to adjust the recipe. As you can see in the picture I made one into a 2-layer Cake and the other into a 4 layer Cake.
- Start by toasting the Shredded Coconut in a dry pan over a medium-high heat, keep it moving and don’t turn your back for a second or it will burn, I used the whole bag and did it in 2 batches, set aside to cool by spreading it out on a plate or baking tray.
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 Degrees.
- Grease and flour the cake pans you are using and set aside.
- Mix together the Flour, Salt & Baking Soda and set aside also.
- In a stand mixer cream the Softened Butter and 1 Cup of the Sugar until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes.
- Separate the Eggs and set the whites aside.
- Add the Extracts to the Butter & Sugar.
- Add the Egg Yolks one at a time until each is mixed in before you add the next one.
- Add half the Dry ingredients while it is on low and slowly add the Milk, add the remaining Dry ingredients and scape down the bowl.
- Transfer the Batter to another bowl and wash the mixers bowl thoroughly and dry it then place the Egg Whites in the Bowl and beat until foamy. Add the remaining half cup of Sugar slowly while the mixer is running until you have medium peaks.
- Fold the Egg Whites into the batter in two parts until just incorporated.
- Pour the Batter evenly into whatever cake pans you are using.
- Bake for about 20 minutes if you are using the 9-inch pans, about 25 if you use the 3×6 inch pans, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Mix the Softened Butter with the Powdered Sugar until smooth, about 4 minutes add the Coconut Extract, Marshmallow Cream, Salt & Heavy Cream mix for another minute.
When the cakes have cooled flip upside down then cut each Cake in half evenly and spread the Raspberry Jam gently on one of the crumbly surfaces then spread some Marshmallow frosting on the other crumbly surface and sandwich them together, place on the serving dish you are going to use and frost the rest of the cake, then gently press the Toasted Coconut onto the outside of the Cake. Top with Fresh Raspberries and serve.