Easy Cream Puffs
|Butter||1/2 Cup (1 Stick)|
Cheaters Cream Filling
|Heavy Whipping Cream||2 Cups|
|Vanilla Pudding Mix||1 Pkg|
I have been terrified of making these my entire life (bad experience in Home Economic Class), but THEY ARE SO EASY!!! I tried a bunch of recipes and this was the best one. It can easily be doubled,which is the same recipe for Eclairs, just pipe in a long shape.
I do recommend filling them with the Pastry cream(like the picture) the down side is you have to make it ahead of time so it cools and thickens.
The cheaters filling I included is so easy and tastes so good! Sweetened Whipped Cream is just fine too.
To make the Cheaters filling:
- Mix Cream & Pudding Mix together for about 2 minutes until thick then thin it out by hand with adding the milk add more to reach the consistency you want. Refrigerate until you need it.
- Pre heat oven to 425 degrees.
- In a heavy Saucepan over medium high heat bring Butter, Water, Sugar & Salt to a boil.
- Add Flour all at once, just dump it in.
- With a large wooden spoon mix vigorously until mixture pulls away from the sides of the pot and forms a ball keep stirring for an additional minute or so as this releases a lot of moisture.
- Dump the batter into a mixer with a paddle attachment let sit for 5 minutes or so to cool slightly before mixing.
- Add eggs one at a time fully mixing in each egg before adding another.
- Batter will look like a wreck for a minute or two but it comes together,mix until slightly glossy.
- Line Silver Baking Trays or Cookie Sheets with Parchment paper.
- Spoon or Pipe onto Parchment Paper don’t spread batter out as it needs the shape to puff up, place them about an inch or two apart and pipe or spoon into about 2-3 inch circle.
- Smooth over any peaks that stick out with a wet fingertip as they will burn.
- Place in the oven at 425 for 10 minutes then turn it down to 350 for 15-18 minutes (do not open the oven at any time during the cooking) they will look like they are cooked at 12 minutes in but they aren’t and will not keep their shape if you don’t cook them enough, they need to steam and then dry to keep their shape.
- After 15-18 minutes remove them from the oven and poke each one with a skewer or knife to release the steam inside
- Fill the Cream Puffs when cool by cutting a small hole in the bottom of each one or cut top 1/3rd off the top of the Cream Puff and fill a piping bag or ziplock bag with the corner snipped off with the cream filling or pastry cream until it starts to come back out the hole, you want them full.
- Dust with powdered sugar and serve.