Easy Vanilla Crepe Cake
|Melted Butter||4 Tablespoons|
|Whipping Cream||2 1/2 Cups|
|Vanilla Pudding Mix||3.4 Oz Box|
Creamy vanilla filling, sweet crepes and strawberries make up this tasty dish. Crepes are usually rolled or folded on a plate and this recipe changes that up a little by using the same ingredients in a whole new way.
In full transparency I own a crepe maker, if I didn’t I would never make this recipe! Mine is so old it looks as though it came out the Brady Bunch’s kitchen, I bought it at a thrift store years ago for a dollar and it still works. I made my crepes the day before as it is tedious work. You only cook one side so it’s not complicated.
The original recipe calls for a cooked custard for the filling, well… I have no time nor patience for that so I used my shortcut vanilla pudding filling which made it easy, easy, easy.
I have avoided making this cake as I thought it would be gross as I really don’t like soggy desserts and I was convinced that it would be a mess, I was so wrong it is amazing!
- Make the Crepe batter by mixing the Flour and Eggs together, slowly add the Milk and Water and blend until smooth, lastly add the Salt, Sugar and Melted Butter continue beating until smooth. Let it sit for about 30 minutes to an hour so all the bubbles are gone, it makes for a smoother Crepe.
- I pour my batter into a shallow dish and dip the top of my Crepe maker into the Batter and pull it up so it has a thin layer, I also keep a little dish of batter with a teaspoon in it so I can drip a bit onto the holes that always seem to appear in the middle it helps them not to tear when you lift them off, it takes only takes a minute or two to cook ( the edges start to get dry ) and you can peel it off and lay it on the wax paper, keep layering the Crepes and the wax paper until you have a stack of about 25, if you mess some up don’t sweat it you could make this cake with 10 Crepes if you had to. But the recipe will make about 25.
- To make the Vanilla Filling start by mixing the Vanilla Pudding Mix into the Whipping Cream by hand until it is combined, then start to mix it in a stand mixer or with a hand mixer until it is thick, this is when you add the milk to thin it out so you can so you can spread it on the Crepes.
- When the Crepes are cooled down, place the first Crepe on the Serving dish you will use, I wouldn’t recommend moving it once it’s finished. Spread a large heaped Tablespoon of Filling onto the crepe and spread it with the offset Spatula, spread it quite thin with more towards the edges than the middle, as the Crepes are thicker in the middle. Keep layering the Crepes the same way until you have either run out of Crepes or Filling.
- I dusted mine with Powdered Sugar and diced Strawberries.