Fresh Carrot Orzotto
|Orzo Pasta||16 oz bag|
|Carrot Juice||2 1/2 Cups|
|Vegetable Stock||2 1/4 Cup|
|Olive Oil||2 Tablespoons|
|Fresh Carrot Matchsticks||2 Cups|
|Feta Cheese||1/2 Cup|
|Fresh Mint||1/4 Cup|
A great quick spring/summer recipe that cooks orzo pasta like risotto, but without all the time requirement of the classic. Still a lot of stirring but it’s worth it.
The original recipe called for Chicken Broth, I don’t eat chicken so I substituted Vegetable Stock and it was great, if you prefer Chicken go ahead and use it.
- In a medium saucepan heat the Carrot Juice and Broth over a medium heat, lower the temperature and place a cover over it to keep warm.
- Melt the Butter and Olive Oil in a large skillet, add the Orzo and stir until golden brown it should take about 3-7 minutes.
- Stir the Matchstick Carrots into the Orzo.
- Add 1 Cup of the warm Juice/Broth mixture to the pan and stir until absorbed.
- Continue adding the Juice/Broth 1 Cup at a time stirring just until absorbed.
- Continue until Orzo is tender, remove from the heat and stir in the Water until creamy.
- Stir in the Salt , adjust to taste.
- Zest the Lemon add to the Orzo and squeeze 1/2 of the Lemon into it, taste again and add more Lemon if you need it.
- Top with crumbled Feta and the Mint leaves.