Gluten Free Crispy Thai Rice Salad
|Brown or White Jasmine Rice||2 Cups|
|Butter Lettuce||1 Head|
|Red Curry Paste||2-3 Tblsp|
|Toasted Coconut Chips||1/4 Cup|
|Fresh Mint||1/4 Cup|
|Green Onions||1 Cup|
|Canola Oil for frying||1 Cup|
|Rice Wine Vinegar||3 Tblsp|
|Brown Sugar||2 Tblsp|
|Fish Sauce ( sub soy sauce for Vegan/Vegetarian)||1 Tblsp|
|Lime Juice||1 tsp|
I adapted this from the Australian Womens weekly magazine, but it was way too involved for me so I simplified it. Theirs made the red curry paste from scratch, I’m sure it tastes fantastic but it’s not happening in my house, too complicated. I love this brand. It is a big container, but I use it quite a lot and it does keep well stored in the fridge. There is a smaller jar of another brand you can buy in most grocery stores, but it almost the same price as the other that is larger.
This is also a great recipe to use up leftover cooked rice. You can use any rice; I love the nutty flavor of the Brown Jasmine Rice.
Make this recipe Vegan or Vegetarian by eliminating the fish sauce and using soy sauce instead.
Double the dressing recipe as it will keep in the fridge, and it works great as a marinade for Tofu or Salmon.
- Cook the rice according to the package (this can be done a day ahead or use leftover rice).
- Heat Oil to a little over medium high.
- Mix rice with curry paste until evenly distributed (use less if you don’t like spicy).
- Drop a handful of rice at a time into the hot oil it will sizzle & pop a bit.
- Using a slotted spoon remove rice when it is golden brown and crispy, don’t worry if it clumps together it’s fine, place on folded paper towels to drain.
- Mix dressing ingredients together.
- Sliver Red Onion.
- Mix cooled Rice with Cilantro & Green Onion.
- Place Lettuce on platter sprinkle rice over top and place Toasted Coconut Chips,slivered Red Onion, Nuts & Mint over the top.
- Serve with the extra Cilantro and Lime wedges on the platter.
- Place dressing on the side and sprinkle it on individually as it makes the rice soggy.