Lemon Curd Tartlets
|Crushed Shortbread Cookies||2 Cups|
|Melted Butter (unsalted)||1/2 Cup|
|Lemon Juice||1/2 Cup|
|Unsalted butter||1/2 Cup|
Yes, they are basically Lemon Meringue Tarts, however, they are not as tart as the pies! (for an shortcut, you could use jarred Lemon Curd.)
You could also make this into one large tart.
- Make the Crust by adding the Cookie Crumbs with the Melted Butter and press into the Tart tins. Place in the fridge until needed, at least a couple of hours but better overnight. If you wanted to do a quicker version bake it for about 10 minutes at 350 degrees and let cool.
- Zest and juice the Lemons.
- In a medium saucepan beat together the Eggs and Sugar until smooth and a light color. Add the Salt, Lemon Zest and Juice and whisk well.
- Place on medium heat and continue whisk, stir in the Butter chunks and while whisking bring the mixture to a gentle simmer, remove from the heat and strain into a bowl and refrigerate for at least 2 hours, better overnight.
- When you are ready to assemble spoon the Lemon Curd evenly into the Tart shells and smooth the tops. Keep refrigerated until you make the Meringue.
- To make the Meringue you need to add the Egg Whites and Sugar to a glass bowl and place over a saucepan with simmering water in it as long as it doesn’t touch the bowl.
- Whisk until it reaches 140 to 150 degrees if you don’t have a thermometer just use your finger if it is too hot to touch it’s done.
- Add to a mixer and whisk until stiff peaks and fluffy.
- Pipe on top of the Tarts and blow torch the tops and serve.