Lemon Custard Pie
|Flour||1 1/2 Cups|
|Cold Butter||1/4 Cup|
|Ice Cold Water||1/4 Cup|
|White Vinegar||1/2 Tblsp|
|Cornstarch||3 1/2 Tblsp|
|Lemon Juice||1/2 Cup|
|Lemon Zest||1 Tblsp|
|Sour Cream||1 Cup|
|Cool Whip or Whipped Cream||2 Cups|
I really love this pie! It’s so creamy and not as sweet as you would think. I am not a big pie fan (I am even less of a baking fan!) but this is pretty great, so I may be coming around.
I used Meyer Lemons which are a little milder than regular lemons so I added a little more zest.
This dough recipe easily double for any type of double crust pie, and can be made the day before.
- Make the Crust by placing Flour, Sugar & Salt in a food processor and quickly mix together
- Add Butter & Shortening in chunks and pulse together
- Add Vinegar & Water slowly until dough just comes together
- Refrigerate dough for at least 30 mins or longer
- Pre Heat oven to 400 degrees
- Roll out dough on a floured surface in a circle about an inch larger than the pie plate you are using , I used a 9” pie plate.
- Press into the pie plate and fold over excess dough on the edges and crimp with a fork or if you’re fancy flute the edges ! Keep on the fridge until ready to use, it will prevent shrinking.
- Prick the bottom with a fork & place in a pre heated 400 degree oven until the edges are brown and the bottom is dry about 15-25 minutes depending on your oven.
- Mix Cornstarch and sugar together.
- Whisk eggs together.
- Add all ingredients except the butter together in a saucepan.
- Cook over medium heat until thick, don’t give up this takes a while and you need to stir it the whole time ! about 20-30 mins.
- Remove from the heat and add butter, stir until melted and smooth.
- When it is cool to at least room temperature stir through the Sour Cream or Cool Whip if you prefer.
- Pour into Pie Shell and refrigerate for at least 5 hours, better overnight.
- Decorate with Cool Whip or Whipped Cream and serve.