Lemon Meringue Shooters
|Fresh Meyer Lemon Juice||1 Cup|
|Melted Butter||1/2 Cup|
|Shortbread Cookies||1 Package|
|Melted Butter||2 Tblsp|
|Cream of Tartar||1/4 tsp|
|Clear Vanilla||1 tsp|
Whipped Cream Topping
|Powdered Sugar||1/4 Cup|
|Heavy Cream||1/2 Cup|
|Clear Vanilla||1 tsp|
I keep making lemon desserts because I can’t walk past the huge bag of Meyer lemons for $5 at Costco! But I finally found a shortcut recipe for lemon curd that works! It is so easy and works for a filling in tarts as well.
I made them for a wedding so I used these plastic shooter containers but you could use any type of glass for a larger size dessert. I also used a piping bag for my Lemon Curd but a ziplock bag with the corner snipped off will work just fine.
You will need about 4 Meyer Lemons to get 1/2 Cup of juice. So you will need about 8 for this depending on the size of your Lemons. If you can’t find Meyer Lemons regular ones will do, the Meyer Lemons are a bit sweeter than regular Lemons so the taste will be a little milder that why I add the Zest, if you are using regular Lemons I would leave the Zest out.
Make it the day before you need it so it is set up.
I have included the recipe for the traditional Meringue topping, it’s the most difficult part of the recipe so if you want to skip it don’t worry just top it with the Whipped Cream.
Only torch the top of the Meringue Topping, it won’t end well if you do it with the whipped cream!
- Zest 2 of the Lemons and juice all the Lemons.
- Beat eggs with the sugar until smooth then stir in the 1/2 Cup of Melted Butter.
- Whisk the Lemon Zest & Juice with the Egg Mixture until smooth and place in the microwave.
- Microwave for 1 minute and whisk well.
- Continue microwaving at 30-second intervals, removing each time whisking well after each one, you may need to do this 3-5 times until it is thick enough, the whisking is the key. When it can coat the back of a spoon it will be thick enough.
- Allow to cool at room temperature and then cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until you are ready to use it. Best to do this the day before, but a couple of hours in the fridge should do it.
- Crush the Shortbread Cookies and mix in the 2 tablespoons of Melted Butter, spoon the mixture into the bottom of dishes you are using.
- Layer with the cold Lemon Curd and another spoonful of Cookie Crumbs.
- If you are doing the Meringue Topping, whip the 4 Egg Whites with a whisk attachment on a stand mixer, then with the mixer running, slowly add the 1 Cup of Sugar, spoon in the cream of Tartar & Vanilla until stiff and glossy as it needs to hold its shape and stand up to the blow torch.
- Pipe on top of the shooters and torch the top with a Kitchen Torch.
- If you are using the Whipped Cream topping, whip the Cream with the Sugar and Vanilla until stiff peak stage and then spoon or pipe on top.