Portobello Mushroom “Cheesesteaks”
|Olive Oil||4 Tablespoons|
|Balsamic Vinegar||2 Tablespoons|
|Crushed Garlic||2 Cloves|
|Worcestershire Sauce||1 teaspoon|
|Liquid Smoke||1/2 teaspoon|
|Kosher Salt||1 teaspoon|
|Black Pepper||1/2 teaspoon|
|Onion Powder||1/2 teaspoon|
|Cayenne Powder||1/4 teaspoon|
|Ground Coriander||1/4 teaspoon|
|Large Portobella Mushrooms||4-5|
|Red Bell Pepper||1|
|Green Bell Pepper||1|
|Provolone Cheese Slices||8|
I adapted this recipe from www.wholefully.com.
- Whisk all the Marinade ingredients together. Wash, destem and slice the Mushrooms into roughly half inch slices add to the marinade and let sit at room temperature for at least 30 minutes, toss them a few times as it marinates.
- Slice the Red & Green Peppers along with the Onions and set aside.
- Heat a grill pan and cook Mushrooms for about 10 minutes so they release most of their liquid but are still firm.
- Rinse out the pan and place back on the heat with a little Oil and cook the Vegetables until crisp tender and slightly softened should be about 10 minutes.
- I cut the ends off my Hoagie rolls first and toasted them first, I cut them lengthwise and stuck them in a toaster 1 end at a time.
- Add the Peppers & Onions and Mushroom slices to the split rolls and add 2 Cheese slices per sandwich and place under the broiler until the Cheese is melted, it will only take a few seconds.