Sugar Wafers with Vanilla Bean Cream Cheese Custard
|Powdered Sugar||2 1/4 Cups|
|Light Corn Syrup||1/4 Cup|
|Bread Flour||1 1/4 Cups|
Cream Cheese Custard
|All Purpose Flour||1/3 Cup|
|Milk||1 1/2 Cups|
|Cream Cheese||8 oz|
|Vanilla Bean Paste||1 Tablespoon|
These are crunchy, chewy sugar wafers than can be used in a lot of different desserts and with a lot of different toppings. I like the balance of a creamy filling with fresh fruit!
Make sure the Butter & Cream Cheese is at room temperature before you start.
It’s also a good idea to make this Custard a day before, the Sugar Wafers can be done a day before too.
- Make the Sugar Wafers by preheating the oven to 350 Degrees.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer cream the Butter and Sugar until light and fluffy, with the mixer running, add the Corn Syrup and turn the mixer speed to low add the Flour and blend until incorporated.
- Line an 11 x 17 Baking sheet with a silicone mat.
- Using an offset spatula spread about a cup of Batter in a thin layer over the Silpat.
- bake until golden brown and lacy, about 12 minutes, rotating once during baking.
- Place on a heat proof surface to cool for a minute or two.
- Using a round Cookie Cutter press out circles while it is still hot transfer the circles to a wire rack or parchment paper on a cool surface and let harden.
- Make the Custard by whisking together the Flour and Sugar in a medium size saucepan.
- Add the Eggs and Milk and mix until combined.
- Cook on a medium-high heat, stirring constantly for about 8-10 minutes, bring the mixture to boil and cook for about one minute until the mixture thickens,
- Pour into a bowl and stir through the Cream Cheese and the Vanilla Paste.
- Place a layer of plastic wrap on top of the Custard and refrigerate for at least 8 hours or overnight.
- Whisk before using then place in piping bag and decorate the Sugar Wafers with Fresh Fruit of your choice.