Tomato Basil Soup
|Olive Oil||6 Tblsp|
|Dried Basil||2 Tblsp|
|Whole Peeled Roma Tomatoes (San Marzano)||3 28oz Cans|
|Vegetable or Chicken Broth||1 Quart|
|Heavy Cream||1 Pint|
It is important to use the San Marzano Roma Tomatoes they are much richer and full of flavor compared to the cheaper ones which can be watery & weak.
The secret to this Soup being so good is the untraceable sweetness that the carrots add, I think the Chicken Broth adds another depth of flavor but it works just fine with Vegetable Stock too.
The grilled cheese is just a plain old grilled cheese with the outside brushed with mayo and I used a heart shaped cookie cutter after it cooked.
If you don’t own a stick blender you can do this in batches in a blender or food processor. If you like it really smooth you can sieve it before you add the cream.
- Peel & dice Carrots
- Peel & Slice Onions
- Heat Olive Oil over a medium high heat then add vegetables and cook for 10 minutes or until they begin to soften, then add Dried Basil and cook until vegetables are completely soft, about another 5 minutes or so.
- Add Tomatoes and Broth, bring to a boil then reduce the heat and simmer for at least 45 minutes to an hour, this really gives it a more concentrated flavor add as much seasoning as you like, I have added a lot of garlic
- and onion powder and my favorite Badia Seasoning
- Allow the soup to cool a little before blending with a Stick blender
- Stir in cream in small additions over a low heat, season with salt & pepper and serve.