Vegetarian Sloppy Joe Sliders
|Green Lentils||1 Cup|
|Vegetable Broth||2 Cups|
|Olive Oil||2 Tablespoons|
|Green Bell Pepper||1|
|Tomato Sauce||15 oz Can|
|Worcestershire Sauce||1-2 Tablespoons|
|Chili powder||2-3 teaspoons|
|Smoked Paprika||1/2 Teaspoon|
|Salt & Pepper|
|Pickled Red Onions||1 Cup|
|Grated White Cheddar Cheese||1/2 Cup|
|Pretzel Slider buns||12|
You will win Non-Vegetarians over with this dish! These are so easy to prepare and tasty as well. It is also a cost-effective recipe, the filling only costs about $5 and makes quite a lot. I sourced most of the ingredients from WalMart, I got the Pretzel Rolls from Costco the first time I made them and then I found they had frozen ones you bake at home at WalMart.
This is a very adaptable recipe, if you like things spicy add a diced Jalapeno, adjust all the seasonings to your taste.
You can also serve these with sliced Pickles on the side.
- Peel & slice the Red Onion and place in a bowl with 2 Tablespoons of Sugar, 3 Tablespoons of Apple Cider Vinegar and a 1/4 Cup of warm water, set aside to soften.
- Cook the Lentils in the Vegetable Broth, bring to a boil and reduce the heat and let simmer for about 18-20 minutes until tender. Drain excess liquid if any and set aside.
- Heat the Olive oil in a large skillet.
- Dice the Onion & Green Pepper, crush the Garlic and add to the hot Oil.
- Season with a pinch of Salt & Pepper.
- Saute for about 4-5 minutes, stirring frequently so they don’t brown too much.
- Add the Tomato Sauce, Sugar, Worcestershire Sauce, Chili Powder, Cumin and Smoked Paprika.
- Add the cooked Lentils and stir to combine.
- Continue cooking until the mixture thickens, about 5-10 minutes.
- Taste and adjust the seasonings.
- Split the buns and in a dry fry pan or griddle over a medium-high heat, toast them until golden brown and softened.
- Serve the Sloppy Joes with the Grated Cheese and the Pickled Onions on the side so everyone can add what they like.